Being convicted of a sex crime can create numerous obstacles in a person’s life including jail time, fines, and social stigma. Fortunately, a seasoned criminal defense attorney can help to make sure that your case resolves in the best possible manner. Our legal counsel has significant experience in helping individuals navigate investigations involving sex offenses and can make sure that you do not end up making any mistakes that can weaken your case. Contact our law firm today if you have been charged with a sex crime in Encino.
Commonly Charged Sex Offenses in California
In the state of California, individuals can be charged with several different types of sex offenses. Some of the most commonly prosecuted laws in the state of California include the following:
- Child Pornography: It is against the law for a person to create, possess, or transmit any obscene matter showing minors engaged in sexual conduct. Law enforcement aggressively pursues these offenses, which means that any individual who is charged with a crime connected to child pornography will likely end up facing severe penalties.
- Child Sex Abuse: Individuals below the age of 18 in the state of California are viewed as incapable of providing consent to sexual activity, which means that any type of sexual contact with an individual below this age is classified as child sex abuse. This contact can include rape or sexual battery.
- Indecent Exposure: Law in the state of California prohibits an individual from lewdly and willfully exposing his or her private parts in public or anywhere other people are located and at risk of being offended by such exposure.
- Prostitution and Solicitation: In accordance with California Penal Code Section 647, it is against the law for an individual to engage in prostitution in any manner.
- Rape: In accordance California Penal Code Section 261, rape occurs if a person has sexual intercourse with another individual without his or her consent. Rape can occur involving force, threats, the victim can be unconscious, or the victim can be unable to consent to intercourse. Classified as a felony, rape can result in a lengthy prison sentence.
- Sexual Assault and Battery: An individual can be accused of sexual assault and battery if he or she touches another person in a sexual manner without that person’s consent for the arousal or sexual gratification of either party. This offense can be classified as either a felony or misdemeanor based on how the offense occurs.
Registration as a Sex Offender
One of the most common elements of sex offenses in California is that individuals are often required to register as sex offenders. Sometimes, a person might be required to register as a sex offender for a limited period of time, while other times an individual might be required to register for life. Registration as a sex offender will require the details of a person’s offense being made available to the public. This registration can create problems with education, employment, housing, and loans. Failure to properly register as a sex offender can also result in a person facing additional charges.
Obtain the Services of a Criminal Defense Attorney
If you are charged with a sex offense in Encino or the surrounding area, do not hesitate to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney. At RP Defense Law, our legal counsel has the experience and knowledge necessary to help individuals who are charged with these offenses. Contact us today.