Los Angeles Robbery Attorney Fights for You
Veteran defense lawyer protects your rights in California
The criminal justice system processes violent offenders quickly and severely. If you are accused of committing robbery, or any other violent crime, you must contact an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Without professional guidance, you risk losing your freedom and reputation. If convicted, you will have a criminal record which can result in lost opportunities in your personal and professional life. A skilled criminal law attorney can swiftly review your case and help you devise a solid defense. Further, your lawyer can ensure your rights are protected at every turn of your case.
What should you do if you are accused of robbery?
If the police arrest you for robbery, remain calm and cooperate with law enforcement. During this time, it is vital to your case that you remain silent. Remember, no matter what the police say to you, you do not have to answer any questions. Politely ask to speak with an attorney and wait until your criminal defense lawyer arrives.
Your lawyer will then review the details of your arrest and the charges against you and discuss your options moving forward. The prosecution will be focused on gathering evidence, the police report, and witness statements. Your attorney will look for any mistakes by the arresting officers and evidence and witness statements that corroborate your story. Many factors can positively impact your case and result in reduced or dismissed charges, such as mistaken identity, a lack of force or fear during the commission of theft, or proof of a false accusation.
Additionally, your attorney will carefully search for any violation of your constitutional rights. For example, if police search for your home without a warrant, any evidence acquired may be suppressed.
What are the penalties for robbery in California?
You need to act quickly to build a solid defense if you are charged with robbery. Unlike other property crimes, robbery involves the use of force or fear of stealing from another person. As a result, robbery suspects are often punished harshly to deter other perpetrators.
Whether you are arrested for robbery in Los Angeles or San Bernardino County, the seriousness of the charges against you will be based on your criminal history, the crime’s location, the damage’s value, and the type of force used during the commission of the crime.
The most common penalties you face for a robbery conviction include:
- Jail time
- Restraining Orders
- Community Service
A property crime conviction can have long-lasting repercussions on your future. Employers can perform a background check and quickly view a past conviction for burglary, robbery, or any other crime. You may also have trouble securing a loan or obtaining or renewing specific professional licenses.
How can a Los Angeles robbery defense attorney help?
If you or someone you love is charged with robbery, do not take your chances with the criminal justice system. Do not opt for the public defender. Remember, your future and reputation are on the line.
An experienced robbery defense attorney in LA knows what you are up against and can assist you in the following ways:
- Explain the charges — Your lawyer can review the police report and ensure you understand exactly what is going on at every stage of your case.
- Protect your rights — Unless you have a legal background, how will you know if your rights are being violated? An attorney can safeguard your constitutional rights to ensure you receive a fair trial.
- Stand by your side during court appearances — The courtroom and criminal justice system can be daunting. Having a skilled lawyer by your side can reduce stress and anxiety.
- Gather evidence and witnesses — From the moment you hire a criminal justice lawyer, they start working for you. This means gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses to support your innocence.
- Devise robbery defense strategies to reduce or dismiss charges — Depending on the details of your case, your attorney will develop a sound defense strategy to have the charges against you reduced or dropped altogether.
- Defend you against California Three Strikes Law — California’s Three Strikes Law results in 25 years to life if you are convicted of three or more violent or serious felonies. Your lawyer can work doggedly to prevent you from falling victim to this law.
- Defend charges stemming from the 10-20-Life — Use a Gun, and You’re Done law — This law added 10, 20, or 25 years to life to your sentence if you use a gun during the commission of a crime. Again, your lawyer can fight to prevent you from being convicted under this law.
The criminal justice system is vast and unforgiving. Without counsel, the process can be intimidating, confusing, and unfair. A skilled attorney can be your voice and fight for your freedom.
What is the difference between robbery and burglary?
Many people lump theft, robbery, shoplifting, and burglary together. However, these are four distinct crimes:
- Shoplifting — You may be charged with this crime if you steal property from a store.
- Theft — Theft is the intentional taking of another person’s property.
- Burglary — Burglary occurs when a person illegally enters the residence or business of another with the intention of committing theft.
- Robbery — Robbery is the act of using force or a threat of force to steal from another person.
The primary difference between robbery and the other crimes listed above is that robbery is a crime against a person where the perpetrator uses force or fear to deprive a person of their belongings.
Los Angeles Robbery & Criminal Defense Lawyer
The clock starts ticking when you or someone you love is arrested for robbery. The sooner you retain the services of an experienced attorney, the more likely you are to have the charges reduced or dismissed. For more than 14 years, RP Defense Law has fought tirelessly to protect the rights of Californians accused of assault, robbery, burglary, and other criminal offenses. Whether you are charged with theft, robbery, or any other property crime, defense attorney Ruzanna Poghosyan, is ready to take your case. Call (818) 646-3443 or contact the firm online to schedule a consultation with a veteran defense attorney today. Office locations in Encino and Ontario, CA, for your convenience.